Understatement is on of the elements of satire.Understatement is used in “Candide” of the Baron of Westphalia, “The Baron was one of the most powerful lords in Westphalia, for his castle had not only a gate but windows.” Voltaire is constantly satirizing the social hierarchy in Candide, whether it’s religion, politics, or class. Voltaire’s primary purpose in writing Candide was to demolish the theory of Optimism. He also used another satire method, exaggeration, Candide is driven from what for him and others at the baron’s castle was “the best of all possible worlds.” The carnage of the Bulgar-Abar conflict, the tempest and earthquake, the apparent death of Cunégonde and the actual death of her parents, the experiences during the Inquisition — these and all other salient events are described in exaggerated terms.
The best custom essays
- Duty of care contributes to safeguarding or protection of individuals as you will stop and think before doing a task by asking yourself is this right for the service user
- Migration and mobility are a matter of great concern
- *what are Robots and their applications A robot is a machine used to perform certain delicate and delicate functions that a human being can not perform because of the unavailability of his presence in the place or the high precision required by these tasks
- Leadership and ethics of Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan is a remarkable figure in the history of the United Arab Emirates as a politician and leader
- Human wants are insatiable but the resources available to satisfy them are not sufficient