Procurement can hardly be ignored in any manufacturing firm. Modern manufacturing thinking highly associate tactical procurement practices to profitability of the firm. This is because most financial commitments an organization makes pass through a procurement process. Available literature indicates that the efficiency and effectiveness of the procurement function is the least measured in many enterprises despite its contribution to the profitability of enterprises. The aim of this study was to explore and establish if Mauritian manufacturing firms measure procurement performance, measurement systems they use, the performance dimensions that guide their measurement and the indicators they commonly use. A census of manufacturing firms in Mauritius (66 firms) was undertaken. The collected data was analyzed using descriptive statistics and presented using tables charts and graphs. Findings of the study showed that 60% of Mauritian manufacturing firms measure the efficiency and effectiveness of their procurement process. As regards the performance measurement systems used in measuring procurement performance the study shows that 66.7% of manufacturing firms in Mauritius use the non-traditional performance measurement systems in measuring their procurement performance. The study further revealed that these firms measure their procurement performance based on varied dimensions and indicators. Those who measure also showed that they enjoy various benefits, which their counterparts may not be enjoying. On the other hand the study found out that many firms encounter various challenges, which in a way hamper their effort to sustain continuous and objective procurement performance measurement. Such challenges include lack of professionalism in procurement, lack of defined measurement indicators and poor data management systems.
The best custom essays
- Duty of care contributes to safeguarding or protection of individuals as you will stop and think before doing a task by asking yourself is this right for the service user
- Migration and mobility are a matter of great concern
- *what are Robots and their applications A robot is a machine used to perform certain delicate and delicate functions that a human being can not perform because of the unavailability of his presence in the place or the high precision required by these tasks
- Leadership and ethics of Sheikh Zayed Al Nahyan Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan is a remarkable figure in the history of the United Arab Emirates as a politician and leader
- Human wants are insatiable but the resources available to satisfy them are not sufficient